Saturday, June 11, 2011

Movies, Part 3: Based on a True Story

If someone started at the beginning of my blog and read all the way through, I feel like it would be evident at this point that I value truth very highly.  I'm not interested in pretending to be things that I am not.  I'm not interested in spending time with people whose focus is continually being something that they are not.  It's just not worth it.  From a worldly perspective (assuming there is nothing after this life) it is a complete waste of the time we have.  From a God-centered perspective, it is deceptive and completely goes against God's call for us to confess the truth that we have done wrong and need Him.  So either way, no thanks.



So if that is how I feel, then naturally I would love cinema that "honors" the truth about someone's life or a series of events.  Now it must be addressed that Hollywood, like almost all forms of entertainment, is just that - entertainment.  I honestly have to remind myself of that at times.  Hollywood loves to create false drama just to make a true story "better".  



Can we address how hilarious and also disturbing it is that Hollywood would take somebody's life and change things about it?  If what happens in your life is a perfectly orchestrated plan that has been put into place by our Creator, how presumptuous and prideful it is to change it!  

Then to top it off, we drink it in and sop up the leftovers with our dinner rolls.  

Need for a Savior: illustrated.  Save us from our desire to rewrite the works of someone who invented writing.



Yet and still, I do enjoy the entertainment provided by watching a movie that is "based on a true story".  So it might be short and sweet, but I will sign off with two lists.  The first will be a list of some of my favorite true movies.  I will list them in order of what I believe to be increasing truth - because yes, I do love the truth.  The second list will be movies I wish were true.  They will be listed in order of my desire for them to be true.  


Based on a True Story:
1.  A Beautiful Mind
2.  Catch Me if You Can
3.  Walk the Line
4.  The Blind Side
5.  The Social Network
6.  Stand and Deliver
7.  The Passion of the Christ (you are welcome)


Awesome if They Were Based on a True Story:
1.  The Lord of the Rings trilogy
2.  Alice in Wonderland
3.  The Pirates of the Caribbean movies
4.  Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
5.  Harry Potter movies


I feel like I need to go paint my Dungeons and Dragons characters while I play Magic: The Gathering after composing this second list.  Just sayin'.


Enjoy these movies and the sickly attempts they make at portraying the truth.  Then think of the Truth

What else are you doin' right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment