Saturday, June 4, 2011

Movies, Part 1: The Classics That Are Truly Worth Viewing

The more I write this blog, the stranger I realize I am.  Stranger in that I feel like not too many people share the interests I have.  Which is fine - but this post will probably not be any different, because in this first of four posts I am revealing that one of my favorite things to do is watch movies that came out between 1930 and 1960.  I feel like that span of 30 years or so was a time when most - but certainly not all - movies retained a certain modesty while remaining poignant and entertaining.

Let me make it clear - if it is not already - that I really think about what I engage in and view.  More than most people I know.  I feel like God has called us to live a life of holiness so that we might honor Him, and so when I think about what I am going to watch or invest time in I want to make sure that after I have done so I will not need to feel guilty or ask for God's forgiveness.  I know that sounds strict and as if I am taking it way to seriously.  But when I think about all God has done for me - the things I have done in past that left me dead in my sin and the way that He cares for me when He has no real need for me - I find it hard to watch movies that leave me feeling like I need to take a shower because of how filthy they are.

Which would be any movie like Black Swan or A Clockwork Orange.  Or anything directed by Quentin Tarantino.  

I understand why people find them entertaining - because I used to and probably still would.  But just because something is entertaining doesn't mean it is beneficial.  Sin is entertaining.  That's why we all have problems with it.




So my hope with this first post is simply to speak on some classics that I have found truly entertaining as well as modest.  I have decided to speak through the lens of a few of my favorite actors from this time, as they play a large part in the reason that pursuing the viewing of these movies is worth doing.




Clark Gable - It Happened One Night, Gone With the Wind

It Happened One Night was, from what I gather, a chick flick in its time.  Such an entertaining story - certainly one that has had overwhelming influence - and an all around good movie.

Yes, I do in fact know how long Gone With the Wind is.  Because I watched it.  All that I will say is that you should do the same.  Trust me when I say that you will not regret spending four hours of your time doing so.



Humphrey Bogart - Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon

Casablanca is so famous that I felt like I wouldn't like it because I don't typically like to follow society's trends.  Yet, as evidenced by me including it in this list, it is well worth watching.  Humphrey Bogart is great in the film.  He epitomizes cool.  

The Maltese Falcon is probably one of my favorite movies of all time.  Probably the most entertaining mystery/sleuth film I have ever seen.  Paul Newman (Cool Hand Luke - also worth seeing but borderline over the top at one point) must have watched this movie five times a day so that he could learn how to be half as cool as Humphrey Bogart.



James Stewart - The Greatest Show on Earth, It's a Wonderful Life

The Greatest Show on Earth is probably not often thought of when James Stewart is being discussed - for two reasons.  One: Charlton Heston.  Two: Clown costumes truly are the best disguise anyone can invest in. This, along with Gone With the Wind, is a long movie.  BUT IT'S IN COLOR!!!  You're welcome.

I have trouble remembering movies that have taken my emotions on a roller coaster ride like It's a Wonderful Life.  Don't watch it at Christmas - because that takes away from how wonderfully crafted this film is and how wonderfully happy you should be around Christmas.  Enjoy it some other time.  It will honestly make you consider attempting to throw a lasso around the moon.



Bing Crosby - White Christmas, Going My Way

You probably have to like musicals to enjoy White Christmas.  But if you don't like them, just remember how much you love Bing Crosby's version of the song White Christmas.  That will make it enjoyable.  You could also think about the movie Christmas Vacation, when Chevy Chase references Bing Crosby tap dancing with Danny Kaye.  After you have seen White Christmas you will know exactly what Chevy Chase was talking about.  Boom.

Going My Way is the only thing that might make me consider becoming a Catholic simply because of Bing Crosby's performance as Father O'Malley.  But then I would look at the cons list...and would never become a Catholic.  Little known fact (I think) - Bing Crosby won Best Actor for this role and the movie won Best Picture.  He also partially owned the Pittsburgh Pirates.  Guess you can't win 'em all.






With summer around the corner, think of the opportunities that you would have to watch these movies.  After a long day on the beach, come in and watch The Maltese Falcon.  Rainy day?  Gone With the Wind sounds great.  Thanks to the library, you can see all of these for free.  It's not even fair how easy it could be to watch them.  It's like fishing with dynamite.

So give it a shot.  I mean really, what else are you doin' right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment