Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Public Library

I am shocked it has taken me this long to write about one of my favorite things in the world.  I don't know how it happened, and I don't know why it didn't happen sooner, but I fell in love with the freedom and promise offered to me by the public library and have never regretted a second of it.

It's hard to hate on free entertainment.  Now I understand that we do in fact pay for it with our taxes, but the last time I checked not paying your taxes was pretty much illegal.  So even though it isn't technically free, I feel like my obligation to paying taxes makes me feel like it is.  Therefore, I refuse to have my hopes squashed.

I have consistently had at least one item checked out for almost two years now.  These items range from standard books - always hard cover if I can help it - to audio books.  (Yes, I do in fact love audio books.)  I also make a living watching classic movies on DVD.  The demand for new movies at the library is typically too much to wait for, but since the thoughts and pressures of society tend to piss me off anyway, I really don't have a problem watching current movies on a one or two year delay.  If a movie was good in the first place it will continue to be good a year or ten later.  



Let's address the pros and cons of the public library:



PROS:  You can check out a DVD for free for a week.  You can check out a book for free for a month.  They also send reminder emails when you have things due - so you don't really have to worry about late fees unless you just don't check your email.  They even allow you to renew your stuff online, and unless no one has requested your copy you can keep it for the same amount of time longer.  What could be bad about this?

CONS:  I know the public library has a stigma.  But I also don't care about what people think very much.  As is evidence by my outfit here.  (shout out to Cam with the link usage)  There are no other true cons.  Just stereotypes and singularly bad experiences.

Though it is not too deep or in depth, I hope my love for the public libraries of America has been conveyed in even the smallest way, and I hope you go get a membership.  

Because seriously, what else are you doin' right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment