Friday, December 23, 2011

The World Can't Have Me

I listen to Christian hip-hop all the time.  Even during the Christmas season - much to the annoyance of my wife.  I am still amazed that everyday it seems like I am hearing a song for the first time - even if I have heard it a hundred.  Lines will pop out at me that for some reason I would rap (because yes, I rap along to every song I know the words to) but not actually think about.  It makes me happy.  

That deep down just got twenty two nuggets in your twenty piece happy.  Don't play like that isn't amazing.

So because I have a blog I feel like I wanted to share a song that did that today.  Even Surrey was noddin' her head when we were listening to it.

The song is called "In His Image" and the chorus goes something like this:

Oh, the world can't have me
Say I'm actin' different - I'm just lookin' like my Daddy
I'm made in His image, made in His image, made in His image
Made in His image - I'm livin' like that

It was written by Andy Mineo and PRo - two of the rappers I listen to.  The line that really hit me today was one that PRo said:


"Used to hustle to be on top 'til I finally realized Someone died for that spot"


Pretty simple.  But I find myself wondering - have I actually stopped hustlin' for that spot?  I mean really stopped and said to Christ - it's Yours.  It was to begin with - it is even more so considering the measures You took - and I am done trying to occupy a spot that I am not even close to reaching anyway.  

I'm such a pathetic dude.  I mean scum of the Earth pathetic.  But Christ is good.  Good by true definition - no need for the word better.  And through my pathetic and feeble attempts to occupy that number one spot, Christ has consistently and gracefully and justly reminded me it was never mine to occupy.

I'm made in His image - not cloned.  

So yes I shine His light as much as I can and yes I hustle hard - but that hustlin' I do is to show Christ to a world that can only be changed by one thing - Christ.

So please watch this.  Watch it twice if you aren't used to listening to hip-hop because the words are what makes this song amazing.  I promise you won't regret it.  I mean really - what else are you doin' right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment