Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas at the Pub

I love beer.  My friends and I get together every other Monday at a pub called Rare Olde Times to talk about our lives and the directions they are heading in, and that is always accompanied by a Smithwicks or two.  I love fall and winter because Sam Adams releases their seasonal brews, and nothing beats drinking an Old Fezziwig while watching a Muppet Christmas Carol.  I love bitter beer and I love coffee beer.  I love pretty much anything but light beer.


Because light beer pretty much sucks.


I also love choral Christmas music.  Few things are more satisfying than popping in a CD of four-part carols and trying to hear and sing along with the bass part.  Gimme that.

The reason I mention both of these loves is that in my mind they intersect in a very wonderful place.  I find many of the carols that I listen to have a very lively rhythm to them - and that is to be expected as so many of them are proclaiming good news or chronicling stories of Christmas feasts enjoyed in the past.  I find myself swinging my arm while I am driving - because in my mind that is not only enjoyable but required.

And I realized last year that my incessant arm swinging is with good reason - these are pubs tunes.  Every time I hear them I imagine myself sitting in a pub somewhere in Surrey, England singing along and swinging my mug in the air.  So when I say these are some of favorite carols, it is solely based on their "beer-swingability". 


Now grab a mug, click the link and swing away as each song beckons you do so in a way only the Robert Shaw arrangements can do.  What else are you doin' right now?
 
Pub Tunes

No comments:

Post a Comment