Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Son Came Out at Night

I write poetry - and it sounds like rap.  I started doing this while I was at Penn State, and for a couple of years now I have been doing it off and on in different ways and with different people - but I have finally come to that conclusion.  


I write poetry and it sounds like rap.


But it's not rap - not in the sense that most people (especially people who do not consistently listen to rap) would characterize it.  It does have a rhythm and a rhyme scheme, but it is not normally a 16 bar, hook, 16 bar, hook, bridge, shout out to the homies type of thing.


It's more like slam poetry.  And I am COMPLETELY okay with that.


So I thought I would blog one of my poems that I recently wrote and performed at our church for a couple of reasons.  First, it is about Christmas and Christmas is like three days away.  Second, I feel like this blog is where I spell out "ME" and so it makes sense that I would post something that is what I have now come to believe is very much that.  



The Son Came Out at Night


For my eyes have seen your salvation
Which you have prepared in the sight of all nations
Light for revelation

That's Luke 2: 30-32 homie go check the citation

In the sight of all the nations He came to rule us
The sickly patients
And heal the broken situation in which we existed

But don't get it twisted
Even before this entrance He still held us up
You could say He was double fistin'

But this - this is
Where He made us like no ohms
Because He eliminated the resistance
Caused by our sin sickness

In the form of an infant

I don't believe in coincidence
So when I think of how He showed up it's no surprise the setting was intimate
And yet the world seemed disinterested
In the form of an inn with no emptiness

No vacancy

But amazingly - so unexpectedly
His arrival was almost missed in an otherwise hectic scene
Expected a King - but this interpretation seems loose
Because the Savior Israel wanted to come on a horse came in the form of somethin' more like a papoose

Redefinition

If they only knew
That the sun (Son) that came out that night would shine a light so bright and so true
That death couldn't hold Him captive
He obliterated that vice

So we waste time idolizing people who only live once because Jesus Christ is livin' twice

So as we stand amongst the darkness
And stare at the stars in the sky
Let the Son of the Most High
Be the one upon which we fix our eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment