Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Hip Hop Hooray


I have a terrible memory.  Many times all I can remember about my childhood are images in my head rather than sequenced events or memories.  If I talk about them with someone usually I can piece some things together, but often times that's all it is. 

So for me to remember this is pretty amazing.  I remember standing over the trash can on my hall at Penn State - looking down at Busta Rhymes face.  His arms were crossed and the black and white image stared at back at me with malice. 

It made me nervous - thoughts creeping into my head as I stared back.  "Why is it such a big deal to own this?  It's good music - I listen to it all the time.  Is the music really affecting me?"

I took the CD out of the case.  This was it...


I snapped it.  I snapped it multiple times and let the shards fall through my fingers.  I watched them fall in the cracks and crevices of the trash.  I stomped on the case - pieces flying down the hall.  I picked up the biggest pieces and threw them in the can.

And I ran back to my room.



For a few days afterwards I would see pieces of the case on the floor as I walked to the bathroom.  They were a reminder of that night - a reminder of the weight that had been lifted.  But I also felt a little sad.  Although it felt good to get rid of "my vice", I wasn't sure how to move on without it.  I didn't have any music that good.

Because Christian hip-hop wasn't that good.  Lyrically - sure.  But so are hymns - and those haven't been the music of our generation since the late 50's.  I wanted to listen to good quality hip-hop that was God honoring, and frankly it just wasn't accessible.  The beats were about two or three years behind norm, and the lyrics felt misplaced.  It felt like Christians were trying to make the mainstream audience think Christ-focused hip-hop was cool - but with antiquated beats and a message that "will be rejected" there just wasn't much hope.  So at that point I could have made a legitimate argument that if I was going to listen to hip-hop it would have to be mainstream - because the alternative wasn't worth it. 

But these days I don't have that excuse anymore.  God has done amazing work in the hip-hop community - especially in art that is being put out by Christians artists.  And the beauty of His work is that the lyrics have stayed focused on His glory while the production has caught and in some cases surpassed those in the mainstream. 

And so my hope is that this post can celebrate where God has brought hip-hop but also provide any one of my readers with an opportunity to hear the hip-hop themselves.  FOR FREE!  Instead of having people pay for the album many of these artists have started simply asking for donations of any amount.  This gives you the opportunity to donate if you have the means but does not require it to hear the music.  The spread of the gospel is the goal.  Amazing.


I want to tell you about ten albums that I cannot stop listening to, and I hope that you will find the time to download them yourself.  After all, you could get them for free.


The Transitional Albums

These albums are phenomenal top to bottom and would be great recommendations to those who are having trouble "letting go" of their mainstream music.  They would have made my break-up a lot smoother.

1. Circa MMXI: The Collective - High Society
2. Church Clothes - Lecrae
3. Hell's Paradise II: The Mask Parade - Wit and Dre Murray



The Coffee Shop Hip-Hop Albums

I feel like I use this descriptive too often, but these albums are the ones that I feel like appeal more to the laid back hipster type.  The artists at Humble Beast have done an amazing job, and these three albums are just some of my favorites.  Download more at the website on the right.

4. Satellite Kite - Beautiful Eulogy
5. Thr3e - Theory Hazit
6. Art Ambidextrous - Propaganda



The Radio Ready Albums

I feel like these would be solid albums to get radio play, but they also have a pretty overt Christ focus.  Christian radio stations - get wise.

7. Formerly Known - Andy Mineo
8. Get Well Soon - Chris Lee Cobbins



The Southern Style Buckwild Albums

The albums both have - in my opinion - a raw southern feel to them. Both of the artists tend to sing and rap interchangeably.  Canon brings a Twista/Busta Rhymes fast flow while Reconcile brings a raspy, soulful flow.  So loud, so southern, and so God honoring.

9. Abandoned Hope - Reconcile
10. Blind World - Canon




Ten places to get started - ten ways to hear God honored through hip-hop.  No more excuses - download these albums.  I mean really, what else are you doin' right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment